Thursday, April 2, 2009

FYP Final Report_Renny Savitri.docx

Somehow, I want to appreciate the file name of my FYP final report.

Submitted in Partial Fulfillment
for the Degree of Bachelor or Engineering
of Nanyang Technological University
by
Renny Savitri

Two days ago, I submitted the final report of my final year project. And it was just when I typed those words above on the cover page, then I realized this.

What actually degree is all about. Up to now, I have been giving more than 90% of the years of my life on earth to school -to study, from elementary, high schools, and now a university student- and in one day, everything I gained throughout these entire years will be summarized by one report.

Think about this. I have been struggling especially in these past few months to make this report happen -restless days, sleepless nights, not to mention the loss of weight and other kinds of stuff that are capable of making you die young, they say- But what are they for actually? And why was I willing to struggle that way? And to my surprise, the answer was this. Being clearly written on the cover page of my report, it was submitted for the fulfillment of the degree of bachelor of engineering. Oh yes, to be honest, how I wish I never wanted the degree from the beginning. Then perhaps I wouldn't need to suck these stuffs up for these entire years. But still, here I am, trying to give my best. And everything I did, was basically done for the degree right? What I have fought for, it was all for the sake of getting that one degree. One title - Bachelor of Engineering.

As I was thinking about this, that this one document, these 62 pieces of paper will determine whether or not I'm qualified to get the degree, I began to think. That in that case, this report had better be a good one. In there, are those hard works I have been enduring, and ironically enough, if I don't endure this 62 pages of report, all the things I have endured for years might seem useless. That, was what gave me the spirit to go all out for the report, for one more time. Final push, and that's it. Then you will never need to regret the years you've spent for the degree. Especially when you wish you never wanted that degree. For me, this is how I compensate myself. Not by doing less, but by doing even more.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
- Randy Pausch

No comments:

Post a Comment