Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What a Difference a Day Made

If I ask you, when is the day your life begins? I believe the answer would be different from everyone. For some, it would be the day they start working. For others, it may be the day they find their soulmates, or the day they get married. For some others, the day they finish school. Or maybe it is the day they become parents. But whatever it is, you would know for sure that your life begins right at every exciting moment of your life; when you finish something that has been so sure, and start something new that is full of doubts and uncertainties. The earth would keep spinning at the same speed, your days would go on just normally, but somehow you can feel it; and you can feel it so well, that you are entering a new season of your life. That from that day onwards, your life will just never be the same again.

I think about this today, just right after I finish my graduation ceremony. It might just be a 2-hours ceremony, photo-takings here and there with friends and professors, finish. But as I think about it once again, today is not just a celebration for me finishing the university life, but rather, it is really the milestone for me to start a new season of my life. And what makes this new season of my life so different? Because suddenly I feel like I am given the full portion of what is called responsibility. That I need to be serious with my life. That from this day onwards, I am not all that I need to be concerned with. That I need to be responsible to the people other than myself. That I need to be ready to welcome the real world that is ahead of me.

And I notice, that in all phases of our lives -no matter how young or how mature we are, we need this one ever-important ingredient, that is learning. We need to learn all our lives, we need to learn in order to be progressive, we need to learn in order to change, we need to learn in order to become better people. And learning, I find, is just an unending process we need to go through in life. Learn from our past mistakes, learn from the success of others, learn from the failures of others, learn from the people that are more mature than us, also from those who are younger than us. Learn from every little thing happened around us, and think how can it make us go further than where we are right now..

...and there will be the day when you stand up, look at the mirror, and say, "This is what I am meant to do, and all that I've been going through has prepared me for this day."

So, yes. I am ready to welcome everything, anything, that this real world has to offer to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment