Monday, July 13, 2009

Contented

Recently, a book reminded me about one thing that we often overlook. It's really true what it says, that happiness is to have what you want; but contentment is to want what you have.

And after all, I think that in the end, what we are seeking is not just merely happiness, but the contentment in life. I mean, you can search all the world looking for that happiness -that is to have all that you want, but here's the thing; let's just be frank: life is not a fairytale, and often you will find the wind blowing in a different direction with the one your ship is going to go. And sometimes, you will end up getting something you don't really want to get, doing something you don't really want to do.

And some people -and perhaps I, just can't accept the fact that we are left behind our own goals and dreams. We get discouraged. We get frustrated. We ask everybody -which is nobody, actually: why can't I just be happy for once? I deserve what I want. I don't deserve getting this. I deserve better. I deserve my dreams!

But we seldom realize that the problem does not lie in the circumstances itself. Because I have learned the hard way, that being happy is not the same as being contented. As being satisfied, as being fulfilled, as being thankful for who I am and what I have. But that being contented is when you want what you have, when you acknowledge that whatever you have is meant for you. When you have the confidence not because of what you can do, but simply because of who you are. And when you realize that you are not defined by how much of your dreams you can accomplish; but simply by who you really are by being contented with your own self and all that is in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment