Monday, August 17, 2009

Chapter One Begins

It feels like it's been forever since I posted in here weeks ago. That time, I haven't even had any idea of how working life looks like; or to be precise of how being a teacher feels like.

Well, yeah. I am teaching now. A career, which, if I am to be honest, would have been the last career I would ever consider. Ask my friends, and they will tell you. I still remember years ago, someone asked me to just become a teacher. And I answered right away, no. That would be the last thing I would ever do for a career. I might enjoy children very much, and I don't deny the joy I would feel if I can impart something to somebody, but doing it in a day-to-day basis for a living has not really come to my mind -at least, until few weeks ago.

Because here I am right now everyday, trying to make up my mind and pick up piece by piece both the skills and the experience of what being a teacher is all about. And I tell you, despite all the tiredness and the apprehension I would feel, I am enjoying this! I can't really say whether or not this is my dream career, or whether or not I would spend the rest of my life teaching; but I do enjoy and discover the reason why some people find teaching fulfilling.

Just consider the feeling of how, among other students in class that might be very, very naughty, you can still find a boy that is so adorable and smile to you and say, 'Bye ma'am, have a nice weekend!' Or how in a class, you can find many students that are just so eager to learn, and although they find it difficult, insist you to stay and teach them how to do. Or even, how you can find a class that can never be quiet, so much so that you need to smack the white board or the table just to ask them to look up to the front. Or how you would feel very sad and agitated dealing with students that are so hyperactive and stubborn; and how you would treat each of them differently -sometimes you whack them, but sometimes you just need to look at them. Or how you would spot those who are trying to cheat during test very, very easily. Reminded me of how foolish we were when we were students, trying to fool our teachers who were more mature and had gone through a lot more!

Those students, I can't find them anywhere else. This experience, this career, might be much more different than any other jobs. Some say, no prestige. Some others say, can't give you as much money as other career would offer. I'm not sure. This would probably be my transit point before taking on another direction I have dreamed since so long, but as far as I know, I think I have fallen in love with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment